Monday, October 20, 2014

Using an Ovulation Predictor Kit

When is the best time to perform the test?
My Gynae advised to take the test first thing in the morning. However, most of the kits advise to test in late morning. For me, personally, I prefer to take it first thing in the morning because I will be at home and I can take it at the same time everyday. It is quite inconvenient to think of how to dispose the OPK in the office toilet. I have positive results even when I test in early morning. 

Does the test line get gradually darker as it nears ovulation?
No. The test line turned positive abruptly for me. 

How dark is dark?
The test line must be at least the same darkness or darker than the control line. Some OPK will also reflect a fainter-than-usual control line during LH surge. If you are unsure what the test results represent, most likely it is not positive.

Which OPK to use?
I've not tried out a digital OPK mainly because of cost reasons. The OPK is not cheap in Singapore. Watson's OPK is selling at $12 per test (for box of 5 tests). The same OPK in Watson's Malaysia is about 30-40% cheaper. Another source for OPK is Qoo10, at less than $1 for 1.

The 5-pack, 7-pack or more?
This depends on how regular your cycle is. But since you need to use an OPK I would assume that it is not. If you are doing the test on your own accord, then you may need more than 5-pack on your first cycle. If you have the advice of the Gynae who had done a scan on you, a 5-pack should be sufficient. Or you can get a 7-pack to last you for 2 cycles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment