Monday, August 22, 2016

God's glory revealed during labour

On 8th August, after performing a CTG scan, baby still showed no signs of coming out. Doctor recommended for us to induce labour as it is no good for baby to stay in the womb beyond 41 weeks.

We chose to induce on 9th August as it was a public holiday (to spare the husband from taking 1 day leave). Doctor did highlight that because so far I have showed no signs of labour, it may take up to 2 to 3 days before baby comes out, even when induced. If baby is still not coming out by then, Doctor may have to perform a C-Section.

At 6am on 9th August, we checked in to the Delivery Suite at KKH. While the husband handled the admission procedures, the nurses performed a CTG scan and checked for dilation. I was still not dilated, and the CTG scan also did not show any signs of contraction. The nurse inserted a tablet down below and I was asked to lie for 2 hours at the Triage area.

After 2 hours, I did not feel any difference, and the CTG also did not show any signs of contraction. I was given breakfast at the Triage area, then sent up to my ward [More about my ward later]. The nurses informed me that the next dose will be at 2pm. They will call for me when it's time.

While at the ward, I started to walk about a lot and do squats (supposedly to help labour). Basically it's as though nothing has happened since the 1st tablet was inserted - which was quite disappointing and scary because I can only take 3 dosages.

At 2pm, I went back down to the Triage area, and I was still not dilated and not having contractions yet. The nurse inserted a 2nd tablet and about 30 mins later I started feeling menstrual-like cramps. I remembered messaging my friends to say "I finally know how contractions feel like". The cramps were causing more discomfort than pain, but I felt a sense of relief over me and I thanked God that "finally baby was coming!".

By 4:30pm, the contractions were 3 minutes apart. Nurses asked me if I needed pain relief; but I told them not at the moment because I wanted to go back up to the ward to eat dinner and bathe first (you are not allowed to eat or go toilet when you are in the Delivery Suite). The pain was also, at that time, still bearable, probably because there was joy that "baby was coming!".

I was wheeled back up to the ward and I spent the next 45 minutes curling up in bed, in pain. I sort of figured I couldn't last till 6pm (i.e. dinner time) so I told the husband to get me McDonald's. I ate the double cheeseburger and fries in a hurry and then I told him to get the nurse to wheel me back down to the Delivery Suite - I need pain relief!!!

This time at the Delivery Suite, they checked me into a room directly (no more triage area) hence I knew that baby was really coming. I was given laughing gas but it didn't help ease the pain at all. It only distracted me (i.e. gave me something to do) when the contractions came. The nurses told me that the doctor would need to check if I'm in active labour first (i.e. 3cm dilated and above) before epidural can be administered.

I prayed very hard that I was 3cm dilated; and thank God, when the doctor checked me at about 7pm, I was!!! I ordered epidural IMMEDIATELY.

No comments:

Post a Comment